Choose Loihde Advisory as your partner and grow with us to become data management forerunner.
Data catalog makes data understandable and easy to use
Even though there is a lot of data in your organization, finding, understanding, and accessing the data can be difficult and time-consuming. Data analysts, developers, and other data users, such as citizen data scientists, spend too much of their time searching for data, ensuring its quality and trying to understand if they are allowed to use. Data catalogs make data visible and accessible, and therefore significantly reduce this unnecessary work.
A data catalog is a data and metadata management solution that collects, combines, and utilizes a variety of data to create an informative overview of an organization’s data resources. Properly done, the catalog provides different target groups a clear understanding of the data from business concepts (business metadata) to how and to what kind of databases these concepts are implemented (technical metadata).
Simply put, a data catalog is a library of a company’s data products that is understandable to different users. Data catalog is created by utilizing various automation tools and expert work.
Benefits of a data catalog
- The catalog modernizes the data management capability and efficiency of organizations.
- With catalogs and their lineage tools, an organization responds to increasingly challenging reporting needs, such as ESG, that are no longer possible to meet in the traditional way and tools.
- Data catalogs enable the scalable use and operationalization of data for modern applications such as artificial intelligence.
- The data catalog provides important information about the data, such as rules, standards, and restrictions related to the data, and who owns or is responsible for maintaining the data.
- The data catalog helps to implement data governance: the catalog can be used to concretize and incorporate data ownership and responsibilities from business terms all the way to database tables
- The data catalog provides a view of the data flows from data creation to recovery (Data Lineage). This helps ensure the accuracy of the data in the reports.
- The data catalog allows data to be utilized across organizational silos. No duplicate work is needed to compile data when you know what kind of data is available across the organization.
- Access to data is no longer the exclusive prerogative of technical experts, but also is provided to a growing number of business experts (civic data scientists) who understand the data.
- The data catalog streamlines development projects and shortens the turnaround time for data-intensive development projects.
- The data catalog supports and facilitates compliance, eg by providing an understanding of the data subject to data protection (GDPR) and the accuracy of the data from its generation to the reporting to the authority (eg reporting of credit risk or foreign tax liability).
- The data catalog facilitates the understanding of data flows and dependencies and thus stabilizes the data environment.
Our offering and expertise
We provide comprehensive expertise in the implementation of data catalogs and the operationalization of modern data management and governance models such as DataOPS and Data Fabric – and self-service analytics.
Get in touch with us, and we will tailor a service package that suits your company’s needs.